Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Watercolors_ to paint or not to paint


There are so many moments when I would just love to have nothing else to do but paint. Then there are plenty of moments when I have nothing else to do but I also don't have the slightest desire to do anything.

More often than not, life just gets in the way of having large chunks of time to spend uninterrupted making art. I wish I could arrange the time, and myself, so that I would know in advance that I have a minimum of four hours that will be just for me to set my butt down and feel like painting.

This is one of many reference photos that I have told myself I will do a painting from. I was walking with my friend taking our dogs out to the end of her field behind her house in Waitsfield. It was one of those rare days of perfection. The tree jumped out at me as if I were wearing 3D glasses. But it was the fence that convinced me to take the photo. I love old fences and without the fence this wasn't all that interesting an image to me. You agree?

2008 was a lousy year for trying to get outside to paint. Spring and Summer were non stop months of rain. I drove around with my supplies in my Jeep but never took them out. Mother nature decided to bless us with a glorious Fall and it lasted for a wonderfully long space of time. Seeing the beautiful, outrageous, colors is one thing. Painting them is another thing altogether. Sometimes it seems impossible that what I am seeing is real and if I painted what I am seeing somebody might want to have me locked up for being insane.

Those leaves have been replaced with snowflakes and that is another story.

3 comments:

Operator_99 said...

Yup - finding the time and then feeling creative when the time is there is a pain when they don't mesh with each other. - And being out without a camera (in my case)because I wasn't feeling like lugging it around and then seeing a perfect picture opportunity also sucks. Nice photo BTW

Unknown said...

Yup, I spend so, no, TOO much time maintaining our life that I don't have as much time anymore to paint. With 34 art students, my creative energy goes to them...my little art factory. I feel you. Great website, roni

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting and for the "yups". Always nice to know I am not the only one!