Sunday, November 2, 2008

Watercolors - Early Years

I thought it might be interesting to look at some early examples of works from the workshops I took. For reasons unknown to me I don't have the common fear of painting the sky. However, like many newbies I didn't have a clue how to paint the greens. Each one of these paintings has one color in it that does not exist in nature, Thalo green. This is a staining dye and must be combined with another color for it to be believable as a color in nature. For me this was lesson #1 and I have struggled with painting greens ever since.

In this painting I got very involved with the foreground and without thinking zapped those trees with thalo once again. I even managed to put thalo in the distant mountains!









This was painted before the other two examples. I did get the hang of mixing greens eventually. In this image I handled the tones/values correctly but my, oh my, look at those ugly green lollipop trees. I guess I was really impressed with the clay pot in the right foreground too. Not only does it stick out like a sore thumb it is also holding an impossible tree.





One other thing you should know about these staining dye paints, not only do they stain the paper, they will stain just about any porous surface/material. I have a friend who was not paying attention to the fact that her long necklace was dangling into her palette and when she stood up straight she ended up creating a permanent abstract painting across the chest of the pale yellow blouse she was wearing.


No comments: